Monday, June 13, 2011

The ghost of Hemingway

One of my favorite things about being on vacation is the opportunity it gives me to enjoy a good book.

And when I'm traveling I especially like to try and find a novel (either fiction or non) that has some theme connected to the place I'm visiting... for example: Max Dangers Adventures as an Expat in Tokyo when traveling to Japan, City of Djinns for journeys to India, and In a sunburned country for wonderful insights in to Australia.

So it was that I began the wonderful Ernest Hemingway novel, A moveable feast.

For those who might not be acquainted with this wonderful classic, the book is a series of short stories written about Hemingway's experiences in Paris in the 1920's... loosely based on reality, but like most great writers I suspect Hemingway doesn't let reality get in the way of a good story.

Ironically there is also connective theme with the recently released Woody Allen movie, called Midnight in Paris, which has some very fun references to both the 1920's and Mr. Hemingway. PS. Teresa and I took a little time off from our "hectic vacation schedule" to go and see this wonderful movie at a theater on the Champs Elysees. We both loved the movie, and would have loved to watch it for another 2 hrs.

In any case 'A movable feast' was the perfect book for our stay in Paris. The book has a great way of capturing the energy and sprit of the city, and the feelings have somehow managed to transcend time.

I recommend it for anyone visiting the city of lights... :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment